- 6 medium sized apples (Braeburn, Honeycrisp and Jonathan work very well)
- 6 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar (1 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 1 cup apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- ½ split vanilla bean, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare the apple for the oven, core using a melon baller. Remove all of the seeds but do not go through the bottom of the apple. Cut a small ring of skin off the top to help keep the apples from splitting while they bake.
- Place apples in glass or ceramic baking dish just large enough to hold them without touching. Fill each apple cavity with 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon sugar. Pour apple cider into pan around apples and add additional water to come ⅓ of the way up the sides of the apples. Add vanilla bean to the pan, if using.
- Bake apples 30-45 minutes, until tender and liquid has reduced into a thin syrup. Baking times will vary depending on the apple variety and the type of oven. Serve warm as is or topped with a dollop of yogurt, whipped cream or creme fraiche.